Saturday, May 26, 2012

Orientation!

Oi todo mundo,

   Last weekend I had an orientation in Lauro de Freitas (a suburb of Salvador)! It was like vacation from being an exchange student if that makes any sense. I finally got to see Jennifer and Sylvia (two of the other four American exchange students that  arrived with me in February) again since we first arrived here. It was a lot of fun reuniting, getting to hang out, talk, play games, etc. Other than us their were six Thai girls, a Japanese girl and boy, and a Latvian girl. I learned how to make origami  and how to say hello in Thai. It was a weekend filled with many different cultures.  Something I realized is that while in another country I am way more patriotic then I am in the U.S. I brought the American flag with me to the orientation and Jennifer, Sylvia and I took many pictures with it.  Not only that, but we sang a bunch of patriotic songs like: "I am proud to be an American" and "America, America", hahaha It was pretty funny.

   I was supposed to go with Fisk (classes where Brazilians go to learn English) on an English tour of Salvador tomorrow, but it's been raining  a lot so they postponed it until next Saturday. Also, on Sunday I will only have two months left! Can you belive it?! Where has the time gone? I've been talking to AFS Brazil and I have been talking to them about doing a "mini exchange", which is when you pick any region in the country and stay there for a week or two thus being called a "mini exhcange". I really want to go to o sul  (the south) because it is so much different than the Northeast and all the places I've already been to in Brazil. Never the less I have so much pride in being a "Baiano" and I know that I will always have a part of Bahia and Brazil in me. Only now I'm starting to regret choosing the semester program...


Ate mais,

Nevo


 
                                                                 Everyone at the Orientation



2 comments:

  1. I'm also an American in Brazil with AFS, and I'm doing a mini-intercâmbio right now! YOU SHOULD TOTALLY DO ONE. I went from Fortaleza to Natal, and it's like, one of the best decisions I've made all year. My advice would be to go to a small city, since the exchange students there are so much closer than in large cities. I just had an orientation in Caicó, which is a tiny city in Rio Grande do Norte, and we kids from Fortaleza stayed an extra day to see Caicó, and these kids were so close. They biked together around the city and all sorts of wild things.

    Ou, sabe, você pode fazer o seu mini-intercâmbio em Fortaleza, porque nós lá somos massas. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I want to go to a small town in Rio Grando do Sul! That's sick, how is it so far? Hahaha, Fortaleza parece uma cidade muito massa (Nos tambem falamos massa aqui na bahia)!

    ReplyDelete