Friday, May 4, 2012

Oi todos,


   "Wow", is the first word that comes to mind when I think about Micareta (my city's carnival). It is a smaller version of Salvador's carnival, but not any less fun. I'm so glad I went to Carnival before because I got to know all the music and get a taste of what Micareta would be like. It went on for five days , and I went out during every single one.  Some days with friends, others with my host sister and her boyfriend and even with some of my AFS volunteers. The singers I saw included: Ivete Sangalo, EVA, Seu Maxixe, Tuca Fernandez, Pablo, and Seu Maxixe The first four days I went out in a bloco. For those of you who don't know what a bloco is, here is a brief explanation. So every singer has a huge truck with a stage on top that he or she sings on. Surrounding the truck there are ropes, and you can only be inside the ropes if you buy the ticket for the bloco. During the night you move with the truck and the crowd  through the circuit that is set in the city.It was very crowded, but a lot of fun. On the last day, I went to a Camarote ( a balcony type lounge where you are above the street), and to my surprise it happened to belong to one of my friends from school! It was awesome to spend the last night of Micareta, with my host sister and friends. Micareta, was one of the best events I have experienced here, and I am positive I won't forget it.
 
 Last weekend I traveled with my family to Salvador and it was one of the best trips I've had here! Here's a list of what I did:


  • Visited the Mercado Modelo, a former slave market that now is a touristic market with many souvenirs.
  • Visited Pelourinho (the historic part of Salvador that has many Portuguese style buildings) and the Elevador Lacerda (the first elevator in Brazil)
  • Went to the zoo which had many tropical animals that the Denver Zoo does not have.
  • Swam at the beach in Barra!
  • Watched a soccer game, Bahia against Vitoria da Conquista (Bahia won)!
  • Shared great moments with my host family!     


May 15th I might be going to Salvador to see Bahia play again, and on the 19th I'll be going to Salvador for an orientation where I will be seing Sylvia and Jennifer! I can't wait!

Tchau gente,

Nevo



No comments:

Post a Comment