Sunday, March 25, 2012

Oi gente,


   Last weekend was a lot of fun! On Saturday I had to prepare for my AFS' welcome party ( I think it's funny calling it a welcome party, since I was already there for a month). For the party I had to make a presentation about Boulder and also bring a food from my culture. Being from the states, I made it easy as can be and prepared hot dogs. Now here in Brazil, they only have cachorro quente com molho (hot dogs in  sauce), the sauce is tomato based and also has onions, peppers, and sometimes beans in it. The idea of a hot dog only with the bun seemed really strange to them. I then explained that we eat hot dogs with many condiments such as: ketchup, mustard, onions, relish etc. which helped brighten the idea of eating  an "american hot dog (without sauce)" as they would say. Takgiie from Thailand made Coconut curry and Risa from Japan made delicous Japanese sandwiches with Japanese pickles and a savory sauce.  The future Brazilian AFSers  made Guacamole (Mexico), Croissants (France), and a Danish Desert. We also had a "talent show", and I don't really have a talent so I spoke Hebrew to them.
     After the party, I went to the amusement park we have in the city and met up with my friends from school! After we went on all the rides, we sat down and started had a deep heart to heart. I really enjoyed the night becuase I feel like I got to know everyone way better and vice versa.
     School has been really hard lately because we've had a lot of tests. It's hard because I spend most of the time with my dictionary translating everything rather than actually getting the test done. Then there are some classes where I don't even know what the teacher is talking about all the time, so I don't even know how to answer the questions. I guess it's ok because I have only been here for seven weeks and I shouldn't expect myself to be getting good grades when I'm not even fluent (yet) in the language.
    I'm supposed to have a regional orientation in Lauro de Freitas with Sylvia and Jennifer and I'm really excited to see them and the rest of the exchange students that will be going. I'm also going to go bowling next weekend with my friends from school which will be really fun! Hope all is well with you.

Ate logo,
Nevo



                                           From left to right: Risa, me, and Takgiie

No comments:

Post a Comment