Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Crazy Carnaval

Oi gente,

    These past three days I had the great privelege of traveling to Salvador and expieriencing Carnaval!
    As a foreigner I hadn't really understood what Carnaval was all about and why it was such a big deal, until now.  Carnaval is happiness. It's the loud music. The dancing. The different colors and so much more! In Salvador, it's basically one huge street party. Massive trucks will be riding around through different set circuits with different Brazilian singers on them. The trucks provide the singers with a stage, and room for their bands and fans. I feel like I'm not explaining it very well, but it will make more sense once you see the pictures below.
   I went to Carnaval two nights, but I will only be talking about the first one. So The first night we went ( my host sister and her boyfriend and my eldest host brother) we had bought tickets to see Carnaval from a camarote, A camarote is an exclusive place where you can see and expierience Carnaval, with not  having to be on ground level with the rest of the crowd. In the camarote there is a DJ and different booths that offer a variety of foods and drinks. The different singers and groups I saw were: Ivete Sangalo, Chichlete, Daniela Mercury, Claudia Leitte, Eva, and Parangole. At about 1 I was just so tired that I went to go sit down and rest. We left for Carnaval at 5 p.m. and arrived back home at 5 a.m.. For all those who haven't expierienced Carnaval there is nothing else like it and I really recommend going. 
   We also went to the beach which was really fun (even though I got sunburnt) and I also got to try many new delicous foods. I feel way more comfortable in my new home and so glad that I went to Salvador.

Hope this post was as interesting as my trip,

Nevo


Eva, on stage ,which is on top of the truck


The front of Chichlete's trucks

My host sister camila, her boyfriend, and I at the camarote.  
One of the beaches we visited.

2 comments:

  1. Heeey, Nevo!

    Yeah, I don't really like Carnaval,but I like the holiday it gives me, hehe. Do you know what Micareta is? In the past, people from Feira couldn't do a street party in Carnaval, because of the rain, so they celebrated it after Easter. Is really a Carnavalish party, but again, a great holiday, I can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think I know what it is. It's during april, and it's kind of like carnaval but smaller. I'm really excited for it!

    ReplyDelete